House Republicans just released the text of the #TrumpTaxScam... and it’s a DISASTER-of-a-giveaway-to-fat-cat-Republican-donors (surprise, surprise). It adds $1.5 trillion to the deficit -- which will force deep cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security down the road -- all to give huge tax cuts to the wealthy, corporations, and to Donald Trump himself.
Now that we have some details of the legislation, it’s time to show up in a big, loud way. And we have major leverage right now: the GOP is struggling to get the votes they need to pass this bad bill. Hell, they couldn’t even figure out when to release it. And now that we know most of what’s in it, we have a chance to put real pressure members of Congress (MoC) who are on the fence to keep them from rubber-stamping the Trump Tax Scam.
Just like with zombie TrumpCare, Republicans’ only chance to get this bill through is if it flies under the radar (spoiler alert: we’re not going to let that happen!). If we can show national, mobilized local opposition to this scam right now, before most MoCs make up their mind, we will stop them in their tracks. And we will win.
But between now and then, we’ve got a lot of work to do. Next week, we’re calling for a National Week of Action on the #TrumpTaxScam as Republicans mark up their bill in the House so we can control the public narrative. Every member of Congress is a target. And, today, we need you to light. up. those. phone. lines.
- If you have a Republican member of Congress, we need them to feel the heat. Check out our Republican call script here and then use our call page to find your member of Congress’ contact info here.
- If you have a Democratic member of Congress, we need them to stay strong. Check out our Democratic call script here and then use our call page to find your member of Congress’ contact info here.
If your MoC is on the fence, we need to push them to do the right thing. If they oppose the scam, we need to push them to fight harder. And if they support this scam -- well, they DEFINITELY need to hear from you.
The GOP actually delayed releasing this bill by several days because they’re getting pushback from their own party, lobbyists, and you! Here is what the bill released today does:
- Gives huge tax cuts to the wealthy by phasing out the estate tax, repealing the Alternative Minimum Tax, and limiting the tax rate on income earned by hedge funds, private law firms, and the Trump Organization;
- Slashes the corporate tax rate, so corporations can line the pockets of their shareholders, and incentivizes moving operations offshore;
- Adds $1.5 trillion to the deficit, forcing deep cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security down the road.
Every single member of Congress needs to hear a loud, united message that this bill is a scam and we won’t stand for it. This week, we need to make a ton of calls (find scripts for Republicans here and Democrats here). And next week, we need to show up in-turf and make some noise.
As always, we’re grateful to stand shoulder to shoulder with you each and every day, and especially as we defeat the #TrumpTaxScam.
Let’s do this.
The Indivisible Team